Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Art stylings

In response to my mother's well-intentioned prodding to post something, I thought I would show off some of my more decorative possessions. I moved out of the parents' place about 4 months ago and have slowly been making my new place look less like a warzone (as it did when I moved in) and more like a space actually fit for human life.

This first one is a piece of Tasmanian silk that I bought in Salamanca Market in Hobart when the six of us (Mom, Dad, me, my girlfriend Suz, Luke and his girlfriend Lisa) went there for a weekend late last year. I got it framed and it's next to my front door.



This is probably my favourite one and it's in the living room right above my tv. It's a painting that Suz's mother, who is a very talented artist, painted for me after I politely but firmly commissioned her for something to go in my new place.


This is the front of the living room, where you can see the painting and tv (the slightly odd tablecloth set-up is temporary, I will get a proper tv cabinet). The bookshelf is a very recent purchase that shows off some of my more varied stuff. There's the Lego pirate ship from my (quite old) previous post on top, a wooden hippo from our Zimbabwe holiday with Dad's mother Irene in 1999 on the second level, and the rest is mainly fancy boardgames and books. The bowl on the black coffee table is a cardboard Oxfam shop housewarming gift from Suz's parents. The coffee table itself was made by Luke and Lisa's father, which took them about a year and a half of very off-and-on work to finish. It then finally made it into the house, upon which Luke promptly moved out about two weeks later. Good work Luke.


These two are batik-ish cloth paintings I got when we came back to SA for the World Cup. I got them from the shop at the game park we visited (Pilanesberg? Am I imagining that? If it's not that, the name escapes me).



This shows the two paintings in their current homes. The tablecloth was a souvenir/gift from Mom and Dad when they went to Bali recently.


Thus ends the tour. Hope everyone is well.

1 comment:

  1. Is this Luke's previous apartment?

    Love the purple piece above your TV - very talented lady!

    ReplyDelete